Rural Urban Framework was awarded with the RIBA Emerging Architect of the Year award. Jonathan Bolchover and John Lin gave a talk at the RIBA today to talk about the projects that brought attention to the research/practice.
The talk raised several issues in my head.
- The role of the architect in the particular context – involvement, power and responsibility
- The longevity of projects and their rippling effect
- The emulation of the Vernacular and its romantic preservation
- Participation in the form of project implementation
- The attitude of the architect in relations to the Vernacular villager.
- The replicability of the project and the protection of the projects from the outer world
- The limits of architecture as a valuable form, unable to provide solutions. It can only respond.
Will expand on these issues further when there’s time.